A cold sore is a small cyst that generally occurs around the mouth, however also seen inside the mouth infrequently. These painful sores are round or oval in shape, and whitish in appearance with a red border. A cold sore is not to be confused with canker sore, as cold sore is viral in nature. Cold sore is caused by Herpes simplex virus, which lies around in our nervous system till it is triggered by cold, fatigue or overexposure to sun. How to get rid of a cold sore is the next question in our minds.
A Cold sore generally goes away on their own in a few weeks, however, in certain situation is left untreated can become serious problem. These sores are painful and itchy, causing utmost discomfort to all who suffer. Therefore, we will discuss a few methods on how to get rid of a cold sore with home remedies:
- Avoid a diet that consists of more salt and acid levels which can further aggravate the cold sore, for example orange and the likes or wafers.
- Apply a layer of petroleum jelly on the stiff cold sore to save it from further infection.
- Apply cold compress to the affected area which reduces the bulge and pain. Do not use it directly, rather wrap it up in a cloth and rub it on.
- Application of lemon balm kills the virus as it act as an antivirus medicine to get rid of the cold sore.
- Either rinse your mouth with a mix of warm water and sea salt or apply sea salt directly to the affected area and wash it after 10 minutes.
- Use the pure concoction of vanilla to the cold sore, which helps reduce the swelling.
- You can place a wet tea bag over the cold sore, such as normal tea, green tea or herbal tea, which helps get rid of a cold sore and the pain effectively.
- Apply orange oil several times a day on the painful cold sore providing the essential vitamin c.
- Wet a cotton ball in alcohol and apply on the affected location to get rid of cold sore instantly.
- Peppermint oil is believed to have antiviral properties that help heal a cold sore. Hence, apply it on the sore directly thrice a day to treat the pain and swelling.
- Preparation H is one of the magical cures for a cold sore. It makes the sore disappear within a few days, if applied properly.
- Hydrogen peroxide is an equally effective remedy to get rid of a cold sore naturally.
- Aloe Vera juice when applied on the sore helps to reduce the cyst to a large extent.
- Over the counter medicines, such as, Lysine, benzocaine (anaesthetic), aspirin, pencyclovir cream, famciclovir, styptic pencil, docasonal cream, and so on are some of the equally effective treatments to get rid of a cold sore.
The above remedies if followed as per instructions will certainly help you get rid of a cold sore fast. However, apart from the treatments, one should also ensure proper nutrition, boosting immunity, and hydration with lots of fluids or ample rest to avoid a nasty cold sore in future, so that one does not need to wonder anymore, how to get rid of a cold sore.