Have you gone through those days when you are yearning for ice-cream and suddenly you get a sore throat? This can be a painful and equally frustrating experience. Sore throats generally arise due to bacterial infection, virus, or if you hurt your gullet while swallowing something. This results in immense pain especially during the mornings, and hurts while eating or drinking. That is when the question comes into our mind, how to get rid of a sore throat fast?
Common cold is one of the prime reasons why one can get affected with a sore throat, hence one needs to ensure prevention before it can occur. If it’s a bacterial infection, probability is that it will get cured with medicines, however, sore throats cause by virus takes it own sweet time and gets cured on its own.
The usual reasons for sore throats are poor immunity, common cold, bacterial infections such as extreme cough, allergic to certain food, drink or pollutants, stress, issues with digestion, or flu. Hence in order to get rid of sore throat fast we need to ensure prevention at the onset.
Before we move to the solutions to how to get rid of sore throat, we should be aware of the symptoms:
- Swollen glands
- High Temperature
- Inflammation of tonsils
- Throat pain, irritation or itchy feeling
- Unable to swallow food or drinks
- Thickness of voice
- Body pain
- Stuffed or runny nose
How to get rid of sore throat with home remedies/natural remedies:
- Mix a little salt o cayenne pepper with warm water and gargle as often as you can throughout the day for instant relief.
- Mix honey with grated ginger and add a few drop of lemon to it. Have this one tablespoon at a time twice day to get rid of a sore throat related symptoms.
- Steep chamomile flowers in boiling water and wet a clean piece of cloth with it. Place this on the neck to soothe any pain.
- Try placing a warm piece of dry cloth or water bottle on the outside of the neck and compress. This will relieve you from sore throat symptoms to a larger extent.
- Drink herbal tea with tea leaves, grated ginger and honey. This helps form a protective layer on the inside of the larynx.
- Make a decoction with kitchen ingredients, such as, ginger, fennel seeds, tulsi leaves, and cloves. Drink this as twice a day to relieve your sore throat.
- Sip on warm fluids repeatedly throughout the day to reduce the inflammation, such as, herbal tea, herbal decoction, warm water, or warm milk.
- Garlic has antibacterial properties that help fight cold, thereby preventing sore throat too. You can have it either raw or mixed with food.
- Chicken soup is among other remedies that provide immense relief from cold or sore throat to a large extent.
The above home remedies, when followed at the onset will help you get rid a sore throat effectively. However, one needs to ensure preventions in spite of any treatment to stop it from further aggravation, such as , take proper rest, keep yourself hydrated, avoid open spaces prone to spreading the virus, keep your neck covered, talk less, have OTC medicines or daily intake of supplements such Vitamin C. If condition still persists beyond a week, seek medical help.