Canker sores (apthous stomatitis) are small boils formed in the inner walls of mouth including, cheeks, lips, throat and on or below the tongue. These should not be confused with cold sores, as canker sores are not viral. The color of these sores varies from red to white, and are painful. Since these ulcers are not age specific and quite common, hence we should all be aware of the methods to get rid of canker sores.
While we all wonder how to get rid of canker sores, we should know that these are categorized in to three types, such as, (i) sores that are mild and is seen in most of the people, (ii) Larger sores and deep seated, with uneven lining, (iii) multiple sores which are small in size but appears in bulk. The precise cause of these sores is not yet diagnosed; however, these are usually correlated with:
- Allergy related to food items
- Low immunity
- Inadequate intake of vitamins and iron through daily nutrition
- Spicy or acidic foods
- Hormonal imbalance
- Hurting the mouth while eating or brushing
- Digestion related problems
Before we resort to any remedies or treatment to get rid of canker sores, let’s look into the usual symptoms:
- Any kind of pain inside the mouth
- Hurts while eating or talking
- A constant tingling or burning sensation before the canker sore formation.
- Appearance of a white lesion
However, if you feel a high temperature, any swelling or lethargy, it can be an aggravated one, which needs doctor’s aid to get rid of the canker sore.
If you are prone to canker sores, you can take precautionary measures before hand by consuming supplements, such as, L-lysine, which not only decreases the frequency of mild canker sores but also reduce the formation.
How to get rid of small canker sores is not a difficult task, as there are many home remedies if followed can deal with these ulcers:
- Prepare mouthwashes in water with grapefruit seed, baking soda or hydrogen peroxide and can use several times a day depending on the severity. This provides instant relief.
- Make a paste of baking soda and water and apply on the affected area.
- Wash your mouth with aloe vera extract or plum juice as many times a day base on your condition.
- Balance the acid level of your mouth by applying milk of magnesia to get rid of canker sores.
- Apply vitamin E oil to the affected area as a lip balm several times a day.
- Place a tea bag leftover on the sores to get instant relief
- One can either consume yoghurt regularly or drink papaya juice. You can also substitute papaya juice with papaya tablets.
- Rinse mouth several times a day with salt mixed in warm water, which ensures the prevention of further bacterial infection.
- To get rid of canker sores fast and for immediate relief, you can apply alum on the ulcers two times a day.
- Rub some onion mildly on the affected area, which is another great remedy.
- One can also apply tea tree oil to soothe any pain.
By following the above instructions one can certainly get rid of canker sores quickly, however, if the sores linger for weeks and they are larger in size, then it will be a good idea to see a doctor.