Common cold is a condition with a runny nose or a sore throat that can really spoil your plans for the day and knock you down raising a question in your mind quite instantly that is how to get rid of cold. It is generally experienced in the colder months, and is viral in nature. There is no permanent treatment for cold; however, one can surely prevent it by adopting some precautionary measures.
Before we discuss how to get rid of cold, let us first look at the symptoms:
- Stuffed nose
- Runny nose
- Sore throat
- Puffy eyes
- Body pain
The causes of common cold are:
- Since it’s viral one can get affected from the other
- Extreme stress
- Change of climate
- Low immunity
- Having cold food items or beverages during the winter or an untimely shower with cold water.
Fever if more than 100 degrees needs doctor’s attention. However, if the symptoms are taken care of at the onset, this will prevent further complications. There are many ways through which one can get rid of cold:
- Since you feel tired and suffer with body pain, you need to take ample rest. You need to sleep for at least eight hours to relax your body.
- Consume fresh fruits, juices or vegetables that provide the necessary vitamins to boost immunity
- Keep yourself well hydrated with lots of water and other fluids, but healthy, such as hot soups, warm water, or herbal tea. Drink a minimum of two liters of water a day. This moistens the mucous, thereby mobilizing it to move out.
- Someone infected with common cold needs a warm environment, hence can warm the room with a humidifier.
- Inhale steam in order to clear the nasal passage and moisten the mucous making it flow smoothly.
- Gargle with warm water as many times a day, as per your cold condition, which in turn relieves a sore throat. This practice clears the congestion in the throat linings.
- Drinking chicken soup is equally effective due to its anti-inflammatory properties and speeds up the mucous flow.
- Take a hot water shower which loosens the mucous, thereby allowing it to pass off.
- Keep your bed and clothes clean, to avoid spreading off the common cold virus.
How to get rid of cold with Home Remedies:
- Apply vapourub on neck and chest to loosen the mucous, and providing instant relief.
- Have a tablespoon of warm honey, ginger and lemon mixture twice a day to soothe sore throat and cough.
- Drink herbal tea or decoctions made of ingredients like ginger, aniseed, fennel seeds, black pepper or cloves
- Have garlic cloves in its raw form or with food to get rid of cold.
- Turmeric mix with hot milk before bed is one of the best methods to keep an adamant cold at bay.
Apart from above tried and tested methods, one can also opt for OTC medicines or lozenges that can provide immediate relief. However, if symptoms persist beyond a week’s time, it is rather advisable to see a doctor. Though we have provided a few solutions to the question how to get rid of cold, it is better if one practice these tips at the very onset of the cold, instead of waiting for it to worsen.