Lice are small parasites that find dwelling in our heads that cannot fly. These bugs live in our hair and feed on our blood. Though not threatening, lice infestation is quite irritating with the constant itching sensation and can be carried forward from one to another, giving us a reason to ponder on how to get rid of lice. Lice formation is common among school kids and teenagers, however, occurrences are also seen in many grown adults, such as woman with long hair.
One family member affected with lice can spread it over, hence as a precaution check on everybody’s hairs to find the lice dwelling, that is even the lice eggs or nits. This will ensure further spreading and manifestation. There are several home remedies to get rid of lice:
- The most important aspect that we should remember is regular cleaning of the scalp with a shampoo and no residue of oil. Oil when left over, generally attracts lice easily. Regular washing will ensure lice stays away.
- Keep the bed linen and clothes clean by washing them in hot water, so that it kills any lice and prevents further spreading.
- As soon as you know that your child or you are infested with lice, wash your hair with warm water to kill them.
- Apply a mix of water and vinegar and comb your hair with specially made comb. It will help remove the lice easily. You can also wash your hair with this mix and see the results in two days.
- Application of a mixture of coconut oil, olive oil and vinegar or tea tree oil and then combing it with a nit comb, helps get rid of the lice smoothly.
- Before you use a lice removal comb, oil your hair with coconut oil and neem oil which will work as a repellant and make the lice fall off easily.
- Wash your hair with a specially formulated shampoo or a lice treatment medicine which is available OTC that target both lice and the eggs. Follow the instructions and make sure that it does not enter the eyes.
- Use essential oils to get rid of lice, such as, tea tree oil, lavender oil, peppermint or eucalyptus which works as a natural repellant. For example you can a few drops of any of these essential oils with the regular shampoo and wash your hair.
- Petroleum jelly is equally effective to get rid of lice, hence apply it all over the head and let it stay all night with a shower cap on. Oil your hair in the morning before wash to ensure that the jelly comes out easily and keep washing till it comes off completely.
- With the help of a nit comb, remove the lice and the nits and pick on it to get rid of lice effectively.
There are not may OTC medicines available for this problem, hence one can resort to the above remedies to get rid of lice naturally. How to get rid of lice must be a question for all, however, with the remedies mentioned and if followed diligently you can avoid further infestation and spreading. Also make sure that you clean your hair regularly, along with sanitization of bed or pillow covers, combs, hair accessories, or clothes in warm water. Still, if condition worsens, do consult a doctor.