Ringworm is caused due to a fungal manifestation. This is typically a round shaped, reddish, and an elevated emergence on the skin. This infection is also called Tinea in Latin and is not formed due to any worms. It is formed by fungi called dematophytes that inhabit in the moist body parts, such as creases of thighs, pubic area, armpits or between the fingers and toes. These fungi feed on keratin which is found in our hair and nails. Hence, how to get rid ringworms can be a task.
Ringworms are passed on from one person to another with any kind of physical contact, hence it is indeed infectious. Before we discuss any remedies on how to get rid of ringworms, we need to know what the different types of these irritating ringworms:
- Hands and fingers get affected with this type of ringerworm calledTinea mannum, such as eruptions that itch showing symptoms like drying of the skin, discoloration, et al.
- Athlete’s foot is a type of ringworms found on the foot sole or between the fingers, with symptoms such as, cracking of the skin, cysts, or foul odor.
- Red patches on the face that scale and flake with a burning feeling is called Tinea Faciei.
- Round shaped infections that itch badly, formed on the scalp or between the beard or mustache causing hair fall is called Tinea Barbae
- Tinea Unguium is a yellow colored infection in nails.
- An infection or red patch that form in the genital areas most commonly in men, which is equally irritating and itchy as the other ringworms, is called as Tinea Cruris.
Now that we know the various types, we can move on to discuss how to get rid of ringworms.
- Applying turmeric extract to the affected area imparts an anti-fungal properly fighting the fungi to get rid of ringworms faster.
- Garlic mixed with olive oil when applied on the infection, helps soothe the infection to a large extent.
- Grapefruit juice or the seed extract can help balance the acidity level of the skin area affected and encouraging to get rid of ringworms quickly.
- Wash hands or the affected area regularly to avoid any contamination by spreading of the fungi.
- Wear comfortable clothing that enables air circulation rather than suffocating the skin to sweat.
- Maintain basic hygiene, by changing the undergarments and socks frequently and have them wash regularly to get rid of ringworms effectively.
- Ensure that the equipments used for shaving or hair cut is washed properly.
- Protect yourself by putting on some kind of footwear while treading in the public areas such as, washrooms, locker rooms and the likes.
- Avoid sharing your clothes, towels, combs or any such thing with anyone else.
- Skin should be clean and dry at all times to prevent any fungal formation, therefore help to get rid of ringworms.
- Wash or sanitize your clothes, bed linen, towels and hair accessories.
- Last but not the least, if you have a pet and you notice any hair loss from a specific area of its body, consult a vet immediately.
By following the above remedies one can surely get rid of ringworms faster and prevent any further spreading. Hence, these instructions solve ones query of how to get rid of ringworms. However, if you are unable to handle the infection it is rather advisable to seek medical aid.