Fever is also known as common flu mainly because it is one of the most common types of flu in the world and affects a large part of the population in some or the other way. Though its symptoms do not include any life threatening effects but if left untreated it could be fatal. The major symptoms of a common fever include headaches, increase in body temperature and hence a feeling of cold, body pain (especially in joints), cough, running nose, fatigue and sore throat.
Ways to prevent fever
There are many ways in which a person can prevent catching common cold in the first place. Some of these ways are as follows:
- One should always maintain a healthy lifestyle by eating proper food and not just junk food. One should also exercise regularly as it will improve the immune system of the body to fight the common cold.
- Getting the right amount of sleep will make a lot of difference.
- Regulating the body temperature by wearing the right type of clothes in the right climate can prevent the cold.
- Sometimes, fever is also caused by long exposure to extreme temperatures such as sun or rain or freezing climates.
Ways to get rid of fever
Above were some of the ways in which a person can prevent catching a cold. Below are some of the ways in which a person can get over the symptoms of fever at the earliest:
- Since in a fever the body temperature shoots up, it is always advisable to shed off the extra clothes which might make matter worse. In case the person is feeling cold, he/she should just wear minimum clothing and use a thin blanket to feel a little warm.
- One should always take a nice cold bath in case of fever as it will bring down the temperature of the body and relax the person a bit.
- Always adjust the room temperature by turning on the fan or cooler a bit so it helps to cool down the body temperature.
- Placing cloth drenched in cold water on the forehead and chest will help a lot to overcome the symptoms of fever.
- Drinking a lot of water is highly recommended as the body of the patient loses a lot of water when the temperature has soared up.
- One should include fresh juices and foods such as yogurt, garlic, and honey in our diet as these tend to fight common cold.
- One should not be involved in major physical work and should proper rest until the symptoms are gone.
- Herbal tea or ginger tea will work wonders in case of fever. Also, hot soup might provide a lot of relief to the patient.
Contacting a certified medical practitioner will definitely help if the situation worsens. Always follow the prescription of the doctor and take any medicine prescribed. Sore throat can be eased by taking a proper cough syrup or lozenges.